Sunday, May 1, 2011

Natively Chatting

My Spanish teacher assigns us homework via a website called WordChamp. On this website, there's a feature that allows you to chat with someone in any language. One of the options for the language is English. So... would that count as learning? I'm curious to see if the person on the other end would believe me if I said scrumdiddlyumptious or supercalifragilisticexpialidocious were real words, though the latter is very much well-known, so it would be difficult to convince them.

Actually, any thing that can be said and has meaning is a word, whether it be an English word or not. For example, I could say, "This candy is benegratic," which could mean something that is good and pleasing, but it's not truly an English word (though it does use English prefixes and a suffix).

No comments:

Post a Comment