Thursday, February 3, 2011

Programming for Fun

Most Americans have this incentive to learn a trade simply so they can get money from it. Yes, they can certainly enjoy this skill, but one of their main goals is to receive payment so they can live a better life as a result of their toil. But I wonder: what would happen if a particular skill was no longer needed, and yet someone wanted to still learn it? They would likely get very little profit, if any, and they would need to find something else in order to pay bills.

I don't plan to become a programmer professionally, and despite what I said above, there is a continued demand for programmers in the software development industry, especially in this day-and-age where more and more people are starting to become acquainted with computers a lot easier now. But the reason as to why I don't want to become a professional programmer is due to the fact that my career demands that I know how to read and write coherently. The video game industry is becoming larger, and it requires writers who know how to craft stories that are original and well-thought-out. I don't plan on jumping into the industry instantly, especially since I can gain credit while working at my friend's animation company as a writer and/or systems administrator, but the point still stands.

I program because I enjoy it. Someday, I may go to college for it once I have the time (and money), but for now literature is my path. The only problem is what about music?

The point I'm trying to get across is if you enjoy doing something, have at it — even if it isn't very needed, though granted it would be wise to study another thing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment