Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thoughts of Duty

While I was in my math class, two boys asked me if I planned on getting Call of Duty: Black Ops. I said I wasn't and they were surprised. To be honest, the game looks like any other shooter I've played since Halo and prior. So, my thought is do gamers really want original content, or do they prefer familiar ideas and methods?

Granted, I like seeing the same characters in different situations, but if one were to focus too much on that, the world begins to lose its touch. Looking at Super Meat Boy, the developer refuses to make a sequel because they say it'll ruin the charm of the first.

To be fair, I haven't played the game to make a solid judgement, but that statement makes a lot of sense. The original introduces characters, concepts, and gameplay to you, while the sequel simply expands on it; that makes the original all-the-more worthy to be praised.

Just another thing about my own future video game developer: we'll focus more on original IPs than making sequels. That's not to say we won't make sequels; we'll just be keener with new characters and gameplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment