Friday, October 1, 2010

Attached to Fiction

In April, I received a message on YouTube from that Diddgery creator regarding the fan game I had interests in developing. He seemed to be extremely attached to his character; almost too attached.

Now, I'm not saying one shouldn't care for something they created. When I create a new character, I get excited for it; I can't wait to see it in action in a video game or a television show. But over time, I may lose interest in the character. I don't hate it, but I tend to move on, and I finish whatever I was doing with the character (for example, with Cyber 1.0 Chroni is a fun character to write dialog for, but I know in the future I'll forget about him).

Diddgery has been this young man's character for many years, but he considers the horned hamster as a son. Granted, this character is his first real creation and arguably his best, but he's extremely defensive in what goes on with Diddgery.

I also want to note that he stated, "Though you said it is a fan game, I think there is a difference between making a freeware game based on a widely popular series like Zelda or Kirby, and making a freeware game based on a character made by someone on the internet."

This is incorrect. By law, there is no difference. If I were to create a fan-game about Kirby, rights would automatically go to Nintendo/Hal; I would have none. Therefore, if I were to create a Diddgery fan-game, rights would go to Trevor (if that is his name; I'm not sure). He could even sue for copyright infringement, even if I claimed no rights.

All I'm saying is he probably needs to lighten up a little. I understand his position, but at the end of the day, when all is said and done, he's only a horned hamster.

Link

(Now that I think about it, poor Diddgery has no real gameplay possibilities. He has no special powers, and nor can he brandish a weapon of any sorts. But I'm young, so I have a while before I can get my head straight with ideas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment