Sunday, June 13, 2010

Why Roger Ebert Was Wrong

Link

Art is more of a feeling. So, when someone says that video gaming is not an art form, they simply mean they do not feel any emotion towards the characters or ideas presented in said game. That being said, I can hold feelings towards something that I experienced in a video game, yet another will hold feelings for something else. For example, when I was playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, I favored the Yoshi who joined my party. Eventually, I began using him more than any of the other characters in the game. However, when I played Final Fantasy VII, I felt little to no emotion towards Aeris's death, despite that being considered the most shocking moment in video game history. Although it is strictly an opinion, art in itself is just an opinion. One could look upon music as just noise instead of art.

Even with that in mind, not every musical piece is art. I don't consider rap to be an art form. But that's just me. Someone could easily disagree with me; in that sense, they would then consider rap to be an art form. I don't consider every video game to be an art. An example would be Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I don't consider some films to be an art form. An example would be Avatar. I don't consider some novels to be an art form. An example would be the Inheritance cycle. The list goes on.

My point is, art is strictly an opinion. I love some things, and I hate some things. The things I love, I consider art; the things I hate, I consider not art. Why? Because I hold no feelings towards the things I dislike.

And yes, that means I consider some humans an art. Some humans are art (like myself), and the humans I dislike, I consider worthless piles of trash.

Yes, Jack Thompson, I'm talking about you. YOU.
</joke>

No comments:

Post a Comment